of Time Machine
After five months of studying abroad at the Chelsea College of Arts in London, I came back to Chicago in early 2019 and reunited with my works. The experience of writing Genesis Trilogy began to manifest in multiple ways: first, I completely transformed Time Machine by burning it.
A sacred ritual for the Time Machine felt necessary to follow up with the new discovery of my identity. Second, I simplified the whole system by removing unnecessary features and customizing PCB with upgraded microcontrollers and wiring in order to make it aesthetically completed.
Some of the transformations were made by accidents which I rather regard as a passive demand from Time Machine. For example, the outlet of the air compressor got a tiny crack by over-tightening which caused a constant air leak. This changed the whole dynamics of the performance. Now the sound of inflation caused unpredictable patterns during the symphony. Interestingly, however, Time Machine became much more alive than before.
I charred all the wood surfaces, and stained with red. Then, I applied clear lacquer. After it dried, I lightly sanded the surface and applied wax to buff and shine.
For metal surfaces, I plated with either brass or iron, then applied different patinas to achieve layers of natural aging color. Also, I colored most of hardware by power coating.
I accidentally shorted the circuit inside the pendulum which completely burned the whole electronic components: Arduino Uno, TIP circuit and DC power converter (Fortunately, the solenoid was fine). So I replaced them with an upgraded system.
I switched Arduino Uno to Nano, and customized PBC by using Fritzing and milling machine. Also, I switched flimsy wires to JST SM connectors to improve stability and convenience.
For the Activator, I changed the color of LED to yellow (later changed again to ultraviolet in New York) as well as metal covers (from yellow and blue to silver by powder coating)
In addition, I simplified the internal circuits by removing the feedback system which included pairs of amps, speakers and piezo microphones.
Then, I installed one of the feedback systems inside the pendulum: I attached a piezo microphone onto the solenoid and amplified the noise within the Time Space. Here, I was calibrating to find the proper frequency.
Outdoor installation at Senior Expo, 2019